I'm A Bad Blogger


It feels like it's been a while here and it has. I've come back to blogging with my tail between my legs and my head hanging low, having to admit to the fact that I am indeed a bad blogger. It's been almost two months since I've uploaded a post that sits in with my schedule, but recently I've found myself in a bit of a blogging rut. There's been quite a bit going on lately and I've just found myself quite caught up and overwhelmed by it all. In one of the posts I wrote way back in August, I kicked up a fuss about how I'd finally found a blogging schedule I could stick to... well... that didn't quite transfer. Well, let's just say that life has caught up with me since going back to college and that a-levels have hit me like a tonne of bricks. I thought I'd come back to explain myself and let you know what's going to be happening with Five Foot Seven in the foreseeable future. Let's just say that there's going to be some changes.

The first place to start is explaining my absence over the last few months. As I previously mentioned, it's not just been down to one thing but a culmination of many, the main one being college. Over the summer I obviously wasn't at college, meaning that I had lots more time on my hands. I focused all of my time and energy on blogging every day of August, (which turned out to be a complete fail), so much so that I didn't schedule any posts for when I actually got back to college for my A2 year. Since going back to full-time education, the workload hasn't stopped and the time I thought I would have for blogging, had to be used for work. There's been homework, tests to revise for, coursework deadlines and then the prospect of what I'm going to do when I leave the bubble of compulsory education.

Although I've somehow managed to just keep on top of the workload, there have been weeks where my to-do list seems to only grow and not get any smaller. Of course, this means that Five Foot Seven had to take a back seat for a little while, despite wanting nothing more than to open up my Blogger dashboard and write.

Whilst we're having a life update post and since it is relevant, another thing that has been taking up a lot of my time is the thought of what am I going to do next year and with my life. I leave compulsory education next year, and for years I've told myself and others that I don't want to go to university. That was until very recently. Having been so adverse to the idea going to university, I had to turn my thoughts to what I wanted to do instead. That's easier said than done when you still don't know for sure what you want to do for the rest of your life. I looked into various apprenticeships and jobs but decided to look at a university anyway, to make sure that I wasn't just being stubborn. To cut quite a long story short, I've fallen in love with the course in Music Journalism at BIMM Brighton and have now decided that that's what I want to do. This does mean that much of my time recently has been spent locked away in the college library filling out my UCAS application and writing my personal statement. One tip of advice, look at your options early and don't decide at the last minute that maybe you do actually want to go to university... It's pretty stressful.

My third reason is that I've found myself stuck in a blogging rut with very little inspiration to write. I currently have at least six posts just saved as drafts because I've either got half way through and not finished it or started it and not liked the concept. Looking at the pieces I was producing back in August, I'm not happy with everything I was writing. Some of them I'm really proud of, but others, I was only writing because I'd put pressure on myself to upload to a schedule. Over the last week or so, I've read and looked back at every post I've ever written here on Five Foot Seven. I've reverted a load to drafts for future editing and republication, edited a handful but kept them live and also deleted at least fifteen posts which just weren't showing what I was about. It's really difficult to see pieces you spent so long on be deleted at the click of a button, but it had to be done because I wasn't one-hundred percent happy with them.

If you're a blogger you might understand what I mean, but when you're not happy with the content you're producing, you're just not motivated to write it. That's another reason I didn't write. When I looked at Five Foot Seven, I didn't always think, "Yeah, I'm really happy with everything I've written". A lot of the time, I'd be thinking along the lines of, "Meh, that post is ok, but I wish I'd written it this way or photographed it that way". Thinking that about something you're voluntarily doing, makes you question whether it's really worth it at all. Is writing this post really worth all this time and energy? Is it going to be well received or is it going to flop like that other post? I want to write because I want to, not because I feel pressured to stick to an upload schedule where I post mediocre content that I'm not one-hundred percent proud of.

I'm hoping that this is the start of a new chapter for Five Foot Seven. Blogging is something I love doing and if I had the chance, I would do it 24/7. Sadly, that isn't an option because, well, life. But now that this update is out there and I have a handful of posts written and scheduled, hopefully, normality can return to Five Foot Seven.

17 comments:

  1. Ah don't ever feel bad for not blogging - sometimes you need a break to get inspiration and come back refreshed! Good luck with uni! x

    www.stylepetal.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your uni application. It's so hard to know what to do after you leave compulsory education but it sounds like you've got a pretty good idea now. You are not a bad blogger, life gets in the way sometimes, for all of us, and it's not your fault. Try not to feel bad! x www.aimeeraindropwrites.co.uk x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't let the rut make you feel bad. You have bigger fish to fry and shouldn't feel any blogging guilt in pursuing your dreams! Best of luck with your application and future course, you'll smash it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't feel bad about being a bad blogger! I've been feeling like that too and I am in the same situation as you. It can be hard to balance blogging and college so just take everything one day at a time.

    Best of luck with everything in the future!

    masalamotivations.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. In the same situation with you. Fighting in between work and school but I ain't giving up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just seems like the workload is never ending!

      Delete
  6. I can honestly relate with this! I have a full schedule between working part time, physical therapy, therapy, and writing on Odyssey. I also have these moments when it feels like I am lacking any inspiration for something new to write!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for saying it out loud! I think we all go through it at some point! Great article!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We all go through times like this where our creativity just isn't there or our will isn't what it usually is. Ride out the wave, there is ebb and flow to every life process and you just need to learn when to identify what seasons you feel most productive and take advantage of it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Blogging is technically because of inspiration. If other parts of your life inspires you more at some moments, its okay. Blog when you feel like it or when you're able to make time for it :-)

    xoxo
    BefittingStyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's super normal and you shouldn't feel bad... It's time consuming and life happens. Do what makes you happy and follow your own pace :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sending you lots of love and blogger inspiration! Being at this for nearly a decade myself (off and on, on different blogs), I totally feel the: "When you're not happy with the content you're producing, you're just not motivated to write it," comment!

    It also doesn't help that to be a truly successful blogger (if you're hoping to grow your blog, not in terms of self satisfaction, of course), you have to exercise consistency and reliability. It sucks at times, but we do sacrifice a lot to be bloggers!

    If it helps, I love your content and always thought what you added was great content! I know you have to love your own content as mentioned above, but just know this reader supports you :)

    xo Kathryn
    www.fashionablyfrank.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. We can all relate to this, but don't let it bring you down. You will succeed ! Your blog is gorgeous and elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good luck. This is a gorgeous blog. I would probably do a monthly blog for now until you are out of school. This way you always have something up. I get the life of school and work. What I do is pre schedule 5 to 6 posts in advance and I make sure to schedule them for once a week. I also write down all my ideas in advance so I know what to write about when I sit to blog.

    Good luck. I really love this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sometimes we need to step back and just take a break - and sometimes it does lead to some unknown sources of motivation. Enjoy your renewed blogging journey!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's so easy to get burned out on blogging.. Don't beat yourself up about it, just keep going!

    ReplyDelete

FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM